Here are the ten most common reasons the dechurched said they left the church between the ages of eighteen and twenty-two:
1. Simply wanted a break from church.
2. Church members seemed judgmental or hypocritical.
3. Moved to college and stopped attending church.
4. Work responsibilities prevented me from attending.
5. Moved too far away from the church to continue attending.
6. Became too busy though still wanted to attend.
7. Didn’t feel connected to the people in my church.
8. Disagreed with the church’s stance of political or social issues.
9. Chose to spend more time with friends outside the church.
10. Was only going to church to please others.
Excerpted from: Essential Church? Reclaiming a Generation of Dropouts by authors, Thom S. Rainer and Sam Rainer III